As a member of the Festivals Edinburgh Environmental Group, we have worked to create a joint Environmental Policy across all of Edinburgh's Festivals.
What this policy covers
The Edinburgh Festivals are committed to minimising their impact on the environment, building on work they are already doing, and will continue to work both jointly and independently to achieve this. This policy applies to each festival's office operations as well as to Festival events.
The following aims reflect the long-term strategic commitment that this policy is for the Festivals. Progress towards achieving the aims in full will be incremental year on year, and managed through each Festival's detailed annual implementation plans.
- To comply with the requirements of environmental legislation and approved codes of practice
- To assess the environmental impact of current and likely future operations
- To continuously seek to improve environmental performance
- To reduce impacts from pollution, emissions and waste
- To encourage more sustainable forms of transport
- To sustainably manage the use of all resources, energy, water and procurement
- To raise awareness, encourage participation and train employees in environmental matters
- To expect similar environmental standards from all suppliers and contractors
- To assist performers and festival-goers to participate in the festivals in an environmentally-sensitive way
The senior manager of each Festival will endorse this policy to demonstrate the Festival's commitment.
Each festival will work through Festivals Edinburgh and with The City of Edinburgh Council's Sustainable Development Unit to develop tailored implementation plans appropriate to their own unique circumstances.
Each Festival's implementation plan will:
- prioritise specific actions to be undertaken over a given period to ensure that progress on achieving the policy aims is manageable
- include targets, performance indicators, monitoring and reporting arrangements and a communications plan
- include a timescale for reviewing and refreshing the plan
Festivals Edinburgh will report on progress annually in December to The City of Edinburgh Council and Festivals will report individually as part of their normal reporting structure. These reports will be based on information provided by each Festival in October.
The Festivals, Festivals Edinburgh and The City of Edinburgh Council's Sustainable Development Unit will review this policy together annually.