The Mardi Gras is announced 26 Jun 2017
Mardi Gras Full Programme Announced Today
On 15 July the Grassmarket will yet again become home to the biggest party in the Capital with multiple stages, non-stop entertainment and a host of bands.
From modern jazz, direct from Florida, to a traditional New Orleans sound from a young Norwegian band to high-energy, latin-swing, the 2017 Mardi Gras features music from all over the world!
The line up this year includes top Scottish New Orleans Brass Band, Brass Gumbo, top Scottish singer Lorna Reid, funksters DopeSickFly, hot gypsy jazz from Viper Swing, traditional jazz from Jim Petrie’s Diplomats of Jazz and Swing ‘It Disney and young modern jazz collective USF JAZZTET from Florida.
The Mardi Gras is a free event thanks to Edinburgh City Council and sponsorship from Greater Grassmarket.
The participating bands are:
- USF JAZZTET – Young band from the University of Florida – fast-paced modern jazz
- Rumba De Bodas – Hi-energy, latin-swing band mixed with upbeat ska rhythms
- Swing’It Disney - Norway's youngest and hippest dixieland band
- Lorna Reid – cool and classy jazz diva, singing the classic American songbook
- Jim Petrie’s Diplomats of Jazz - Authentic and hot traditional music from the Crescent City
- Brass Gumbo – brass band playing jazz with a distinctly New Orleans flavor
- DopeSickFly – funk masters delivering a rock, poetic, acid jazz fusion
- Viper Swing - hot gypsy jazz: fiery manouche guitars, high-flying violin and gravelly vocals
- Freddie King – hip, compelling baritone voice delivering bebop, ballads and blues