Mardi Gras Programme Announced 05 Jul 2018
On 14 July the Grassmarket will yet again become home to the biggest party in the Capital with multiple stages, non-stop entertainment and a host of bands.
In its 40th Anniversary Year, the Mardi Gras is a truly intercontinental affair with bands from South Africa, USA and Europe, an Australian singer as well as the cream of local talent.
New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz and Soul Brass Band (USA) play a traditional marching band set; in the Year of Young People ten young South African and 5 young Aberdonians are featured from Kronendal Music Academy Jazz Band and Hamlet respectively. The Vieux Carré Jazzmen and Shreveport Rhythm (Germany) play traditional jazz, Rumba de Bodas (Italy) and Brass Gumbo deliver high-octane sounds, Markus K (USA) is a one man blues band and Australian singer Becc Sanderson delivers classy vocals.
The participating bands are:
- Kronendal Music Academy Jazz Band - Young 10 piece band from a South African Cape township – jazz African style
- Rumba De Bodas - Frenetic funk rhythms, soulful horns, quality grooves and Latin flair fom Italian party starters fronted by singer Rachel Doe
- Soul Brass Band - Informal busking set by the classy, sometimes classic, sometimes funky New Orleans brass band
- Markus K - Famous blues busker does a special street set of his one man blues rock power Trio
- The Vieux Carré Jazzmen - Traditional jazz, from Louis Armstrong to Jabbo Smith. Bright, fun-loving music.
- Shreveport Rhythm - Short set by stylish and slick classic jazz band from Hamburg: music from the 1920s and 30s
- Hamlet – Five young players from Aberdeen deliver cool and classy modern jazz embracing funk and world rhythms
- Becc Sanderson - Great tunes, from standards to modern pop from an always swinging and tasteful singer - a class act!
- Brass Gumbo – Scotland's top funky street music group deliver a musical melting pot of brass and percussion. From funk to jazz and more
The Mardi Gras funs from 1-4pm in The Grassmarket on Saturday 14th July and it 's all FREE
The Grassmarket market also runs during the afternoon.
Click Here to download the schedule